“AITA For Buying My Fiancée A Lab-Grown Diamond And Refusing To Exchange It For A Natural Stone?”

When a couple becomes engaged, the guy generally buys a diamond ring to represent a vow to marry. A guy wonders if he is unreasonable in refusing to replace a lab-grown diamond for a natural one at the wish of his fiancée. A guy in this story wonders if he is unreasonable in refusing to replace a lab-grown diamond for a natural one at the wish of his fiancée. Read the story and let us know what you think of the situation.

Source: Reddit

I proposed to my girlfriend of 5 years last week, it was wonderful and she said yes, and we were never so happy.

Last week was when the trouble started, as she asked me how much I had spent on her ring. I told her that I had spent about $20,000 on it and that I had been squirreling away for the last 10 years. (When I first started saving I was planning on building a kit car but when I started seriously considering proposing I decided it was worth spending the money on the ring.)

She was initially floored that I had spent so much but later became suspicious that I had managed to get such a large stone (3.6 karats.) for the price, and asked to see the diamond certificate I got with the ring.

I, of course, showed it to her (I thought she was worried I had been duped into buying a fake.) and when she saw it was lab grown she got upset that I hadn’t bought her a “real” diamond.

This reaction stunned me for a couple reasons. Firstly, I had always been open in my distaste for the natural diamond industry, and secondly because I had employed the assistance of her friends and mother and everyone agreed that she wouldn’t care if the diamond was lab grown.

Over the last week I have explained to her multiple times my reasons for going lab grown, (It is better for the environment, I know the exact origin of the stone, so I know it isn’t a conflict stone, and ultimately it is better value for the money and I wanted to get her the most beautiful ring possible.) and that lab grown diamonds are in every way real diamonds and that they are also indistinguishable from natural ones unless you look at their certificate.

I have also pointed out that she had no clue and would have never known if I hadn’t told her the price of her ring. But she insists that she can tell a difference and it is just not the same.

Yesterday she asked me if I would be willing to exchange it for a natural stone of equivalent value. Normally I would be happy to, but I spent months searching for the perfect ring for her and also, though value was the biggest reason for me, the idea of potentially getting a blood diamond really does sicken me.

So I said no, and said if she wanted to give the ring back and end our relationship, that is fine, but I would not exchange it. She called me an idiot and went to stay the night with her parents.

Since then I have received multiple texts from her friends telling me to just acquiesce and exchange the ring (and, ultimately, I will if it means saving the relationship) but I just feel like this is something worth being firm on. I am planning to leave her. I hope it’s the right decision.

Let us know in the comments your thoughts about his fiancée and his decision?

Watch for more: https://youtu.be/r0u8YrnZ188

Share this with your friends by clicking below!