“My Boyfriend Changes When I Get My Period”
We’ve been together for 2 years, living together at either of our parents places most of that time. When we first got together, he mentioned how he was bothered by the sight of blood (any blood, not just period blood) but we’ve had a lot of open and in-depth conversations, even about periods. At first he was kind of grossed out by it, but his love for learning (and me) quickly took over and he has no issue talking about it.
He typically has a fairly good idea about how far away my period is, and will ask me almost daily if I’ve started yet, starting about 3 days before expected date until I get it (so sometimes daily for a week). When I get my period, it’s like a switch flips. He becomes nurturing and even more gentle than he already is.
• He still goes off in his own world playing video games or reading or watching movies (something he normally does not like to be distracted during), but I catch him looking at me a lot, especially if I don’t feel good.
• Before I even think about using it, he asks if I want my heating pad. The answer is almost always yes.
• Pre-quarantine, he would go to our favorite restaurant to buy us food when I cramped so bad I couldn’t get out of bed.
• He’s always asking if I’m okay, giving me extra snuggles, or rubbing my head (a million times yesssss).
• He understands my hormones make me moody and that not being pregnant makes me sad (even though I understand we’re not ready, we’re not trying, and he’s relieved – he wants kids, just not right now) and he is supportive.
• He gives me his full, undivided attention.
He’s sleeping peacefully next to me while I write this and maybe it’s the hormones, but I get teary-eyed just thinking about how much I love him.